- Chief local administrative and clinical head of the unit.
- All in-house resident doctors, nursing supervisor and staff technicians, paramedics and housekeeping staff directly report to him.
- Major clinical monitoring and therapeutic decisions to be taken by him / communicated to him; in consultation and accordance with treating Consultant Incharge.
- All policies of admission, monitoring, therapeutics, procedures and various protocols are framed under his guidance in accordance with prevailing national and international norms.
- Proper patient care by means of proper work delegation is his prime responsibility.
- Managing and ensuring adequate staff in PHDU with administrative help is another major responsibility.
- Ensuring proper training of staff and periodic assessment of their abilities – rewarding / reprimanding accordingly.
- Ensuring infection control in PHDU.
- Talking to the selected attendants about the continued progress and treatment response and immediate plans in the patient management.
- Reports to Director/MS
In case if death in PHDU
- To properly assess the patient, if death occurs in his / her presence.
- Preferably making the declaration himself.
- Ensuring that information is passed on to relevant authority.
- To ensure proper cause of death has been mentioned.