Surgical ICU residents are required to take care of patients in Surgical ICU and to get Placement and Recruitment in such jobs, a resident has very typical responsibilities.
- They are major workforce for implementation of all monitoring and therapeutic decisions laid by consultants.
- Their prime responsibility is to monitor and manage all clinical aspects of patient care.
- They conduct an Initial assessment of the patient at admission and information to Consultants.
- They undertake Planning investigations/treatment as per laid down protocols and in discussion with SICU Consultant / Consultant in charge
- They are responsible for writing all clinical details on files and charting all investigations. Informing all investigations to Consultants and taking remedial decisions accordingly.
- They take small decisions regarding immediate monitoring and therapeutic to be taken by them as per their abilities and with help of laid down protocols. However, they are supposed to inform of all minor/major monitoring inputs, therapeutic suggestions, and remedial actions to Consultant SICU and/or Consultant In-charge.
- All nursing staff, paramedics are supposed to report to Surgical ICU residents initially in relation to patient care.
- Informs about the irregularities in clinical, technical, mechanical, and administrative areas to SICU Consultant (if and when noticed).
- Fills up all the investigations forms, blood forms and prepare the treatment chart or master chart of SICU.
- Performs procedures under guidance/permission from Consultant SICU / Consultant In-charge.
- Interacts with attendants to inform only the current condition, not to discuss, prognosis, course of disease and plans of management.
- Surgical ICU residents shall accompany very sick patients to another investigative area (Imaging) as and when required
- May be called in case of dire emergency to any area of the hospital for help/resuscitation
- In case if a death in SICU, Surgical ICU residents are responsible for
- Declaration to the attendants (preferably to close to kin) after properly assessing the patient.
- Making proper note of the time of death.
- Informing the SICU Consultant/CIC.
- Co-ordinating with the Staff about informing relevant authority of the hospital and also after consultation with the attendants, ensuring that proper arrangements are made about shifting / releasing the body.
- Preparing the Death Certificate / MCD Certificate / Death Summary properly.
- Properly making documentation of the sequence of events leading to death and also of the measures taken to resuscitate the patient.