The role of a Consultant Surgical ICU doctor is to take care of the surgical ICU department
- he is the Chief local administrative and clinical head of the unit.
- All in-house resident doctors, nursing supervisors and staff technicians, paramedics, and housekeeping staff directly report to Consultant Surgical ICU.
- They take major clinical monitoring and therapeutic decisions to be taken by him / communicated to him; in consultation and accordance with treating Consultant InCharge.
- All policies of admission, monitoring, therapeutics, procedures, and various protocols are framed under his guidance in accordance with prevailing national and international norms.
- Proper patient care by means of proper work delegation is his prime responsibility.
- Ensuring proper training of staff and periodic assessment of their abilities – rewarding/reprimanding accordingly.
- Ensuring infection control in SICU.
- Talking to the selected attendants about the continued progress and treatment response and immediate plans in the patient management.
- He or She Reports to Director/MS.
- In case of a death in SICU
- Consultant Surgical ICU must properly assess the patient if death occurs in his / her presence.
- He Preferably making the declaration himself.
- They Ensuring that information is passed on to relevant authority.
- They are to ensure proper cause of death has been mentioned.